You must need to install appium if you need mobile software apps automation testing. Till now, We have configured android development environment in windows to run appium automation tests on android devices and emulators and we have installed other required software for appium in previous post. Now we need to download and install appium in windows to run native/web ios/android software automation tests using selenium webdriver. Bellow given steps will guide you to install appium in windows.
1. Download Appium
Before download and install appium in windows, Please make sure bellow given prerequisites are fulfilled.
- Go to THIS PAGE.
- Click on Download Appium button.
- It will download zip file.
- When download completes, Extract zip file.You will get AppiumForWindows folder as shown bellow.
2. Install Appium
- Open AppiumForWindows folder. "appium-installer.exe" file will be there.
- Double click on "appium-installer.exe" file to install appium. It will start installing appium.
- It will ask you to select setup language.
- Select English and click on OK.
- It will launch Appium Setup Wizard. Click on Next button.
- Next screen will ask you to select appium destination location. Leave it as it is and click on Next.
- Next screen will ask you to set name of appium. Leave it as it is and click on Next.
- Click Next on Select Additional Tasks screen.
- On Ready To Install screen, Click on Install button. It will start installation.
- At the end of installation, It will show Completing the Appium Setup Wizard. Select Launch Appium check box and click on Finish button.
- It will launch Appium as shown bellow.
Appium is installed and ready to use.
3. Configure Appium
Appium will launch with default configuration parameters. To reduce errors during software automation test execution, You need to set/modify few appium parameters as per your requirement if they are wrong or not set properly. See bellow.
Android Settings :
- Click on Android Settings button as shown in bellow image.
- Select Platform Name = Android
- Select Automation Name = Appium
- Select PlatformVersion = Your android device's OS version. For me it is 4.2 Jelly Bean.
- Click on General Settings button as shown in bellow image.
- Note down Server Address and Post number. We need it during appium software automation test script creation. Server Address is : 127.0.0.1 and Port number is : 4723.
- Un-check Pre-Launch Application check box if it is checked.
Leave all other settings as it is.