Earlier we learnt how to install android SDK in THIS POST and set ANDROID_HOME and Path variable in THIS POST to set android development and software app test environment in windows. Now this is time to integrate android SDK with eclipse IDE to access SDK tools in eclipse IDE. Android offers plugin called Android Developer Tools (ADT) to integrate android development environment in eclipse IDE. After installing ADT in eclipse, You can setup android project, debug apps and build apps.
However we CAN use it to launch android emulators through eclipse to run software automation tests on it using appium. Also you can launch android virtual devices(Emulator) direct from SDK folder -> AVD Manager.exe. So this is optional step but still let me describe you how to do it if you wish to launch AVD Manager from eclipse.
Download And Installing ADT plugin in eclipse
Bellow given steps will describe you how to install ADT plugin in eclipse.
Bellow given tools/components should be available/installed
Steps to install ADT plugin in eclipse IDE.
- Open eclipse IDE
- Go to Help -> Install New Software. It will open Install software dialog.
- Set URL "https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/" in Location text box and click on OK button as shown in above snap. It will load Developer Tools with check box.
- Select all check box of developer tools as shown in bellow image and click on Next button. It will take you to installation details.
- Click on Next button as shown in bellow image. It will take you to Review Licenses screen.
ADT Plugin is installed in eclipse
Set SDK Location
You need to set SDK folder path after installation of ADT plugin which enables eclipse to integrate with android software development environment. Follow the steps given bellow.
- Open eclipse IDE Preferences dialog from Windows -> Preferences.
- Select Android on Preferences dialog.
- Set SDK folder path in SDK Location box. SDK folder is located in my E: drive which contain all android SDK related stuff. View THIS POST for more detail on SDK folder.
Verify Android SDK configured properly with eclipse
To verify if android SDK is integrated properly or not
- Go to Eclipse IDE's Windows menu -> Select Android SDK Manager.
This confirms that android SDK is integrated properly with eclipse IDE using ADT plugin.